At Merlin Top we believe that the teaching of PSHCE, SEAL and British values is extremely important for our children and underpins our SMSC development. As part of a whole-school approach, PSHE education develops the qualities and attributes pupils need to thrive as individuals, family members and members of society.
PSHE education can help schools to reduce or remove many of the barriers to learning experienced by pupils, significantly improving their capacity to learn and achieve. The below programmes make a significant contribution to pupil's Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) development, their behaviour and safety and the school's statutory responsibility to promote pupil's wellbeing.
The overarching aim for PSHCE education is to provide pupils with:
- Accurate and relevant knowledge
- Opportunities to turn that knowledge into personal understanding
- Opportunities to explore, clarify and if necessary challenge, their own and other's values, attitudes, beliefs, rights and responsibilities
- The skills and strategies they need in order to live healthy, safe, fulfilling, responsible and balanced lives.
- To understand the differences between people and the people within a community and have respect for all others regardless of identity, race, culture or religion.